Japanese stainless steel import increased by 13.0% to 189,263 tonnes in 2011 from 2010, according to Ministry of Finance. The import increased by 13.5% for flat rolled stainless steel. The import increased by 33.4% for welded stainless steel pipe and by 30.3% for seamless pipe. The import increased by 9.8% for stainless bar and by 10.1% for stainless wire. The import increased from South Korea and Taiwan under high yen rate when offshore stainless steel makers increased production capacity.The flat rolled stainless steel import increased for 2 years in a row through 2011. The volume was 156,308 tonnes in 2011 when the import increased by 10.2% to 128,224 tonnes from South Korea from 2010. The flat rolled stainless steel import increased by 15.4% to 69,246 tonnes for hot rolled flat steel in 2011 from 2010. The import increased by 12.0% to 87,057 tonnes for cold rolled sheet. The hot rolled flat stainless steel import increased by 16.1% to 52,851 tonnes for coil with 600 millimeters or more width in 2011 from 2010. The import increased by 12.3% to 15,650 tonnes for products with 3 mm or more thick. The cold rolled sheet import increased by 14.5% to 9,605 tonnes for products with 3 mm or more thick and 600 mm or more width. The import increased by 11.5% to 71,599 tonnes for products with less than 3 mm thick.
- Less Steel Export to Korea, More Import from Korea in 2011 (Feb.02,2012)
- Japan Carbon Steel Import Remains High in November (Dec.28,2011)
- Japan Steel Import Keeps High Level in September (Oct.31,2011)
- Japan Stainless Steel Import Increases by 13.5% in June (Aug.16,2011)
- Japan Carbon Steel Import Increases Again in April (May.31,2011)